The WRT has moved. If you're looking for info, entries or anything else bikepacking related try Bear Bones Bikepacking, the Bear Bones blog or the Bear Bones forum - ta.

Yea, yea, yea, but what is it?

The WRT is a 3 day and perhaps more importantly 2 night ride through and around mid Wales. You'll be expected to be self sufficient, carrying everything you need and sleeping out in or under whatever you think best. It's not elitist, entry is open to anyone who wants to try it. All the money raised by the WRT goes to the Wales Air Ambulance charity ... an organisation I hope you'll never need.

Friday, April 1, 2011

AlpKit make (k)it easy.

I received an email this morning telling me that AlpKit had put some more bikepacking related stuff on their website. This email reminded me that I needed to buy a new Lahoon long handled spoon, as I'd left mine hanging from a tree a couple of weeks ago, so off I went to AlpKits website.

As I was reading and browsing it dawned on me that AlpKit have made entering the shady world of bikepacking as simple as can be. No matter how minimal your kit is (or how minimal you'd like it to be) there's certain items that you pretty much can't do without. Shopping for said items can be a literal minefield, particularly if you buy your stuff from an army surplus outlet. There's just so much stuff out there and so many choices ... buying the wrong stuff can be both costly and uncomfortable.

I whizzed my mouse around a bit and came up with a little list of AlpKit items all of which I'd consider to be pretty much essential for UK bikepacking. I haven't necessarily picked the lightest or least expensive products either ... here you go.

Sleeping Bag - SkyeHigh 600, 1215g and £100.

Sleeping Mat - Numo air mat, 468g and £40.

Bivvy Bag - Hunka, 420g and £30.

Tarp - Rig 7, 515g and £45.

Some pegs for your tarp - Candy Canes, 15g each and £6.50 for 10.

Just so no one says I've forgotten something - 3mm Fredd cord, 85g and £4.50 for 20m.

So, lets tot all that up then ... £226 and 2.85kg. Now, obviously there's lighter stuff out there and there's cheaper stuff out there too but light and cheap are most certainly at opposite ends of the scale. I think that AlpKit have done a superb job in bringing those 2 ends much, much closer together ... they've also achieved it without sacrificing quality.

Don't forget that they produce other stuff that's equally suited to the needs of people who should really know better, titanium cookware, dry bags, lighting and my favourite Gourdon backpacks are a few that spring to mind. If you're looking for some new gear get over there and take a look, if you've more gear than you'll ever need, still get over there and read about other peoples adventures http://www.alpkit.com/extend-your-ride including Nick and Kenny's, Snowdon - Cadair - Snowdon trip, both of whom will be taking part in this years WRT.

No comments:

Post a Comment